Monday 27 May 2013

The Christie Antique Show

This past weekend a friend and I went to The Christie Antique Show near Hamilton, On.  It was my first time attending the show and I wasn't disappointed!  If money were no object and I had that mansion that I've been dreaming of, soooo many things would have been coming home with me.

Not knowing exactly what to expect, I went with some cash in my pocket and a list of a few things to keep an eye out for.  I was looking for a night table for the little man's room, a chandelier for Audrey's room, a side table for the living room, endless things on my list of decorative items, and anything else that caught my eye.  While I didn't find anything on my list, this beauty came home with me.


 
We came across a stall with loads of wooden boxes and I was instantly hit with inspiration and thought toy box for the little man's room.  So, I started searching through the pile and couldn't find anything big enough when this caught my eye from under a table, just as I was about to walk away. 

It needs a tiny bit of love to make it safe for little kid use - it has some small nails that need to be hammered back in, the inside is a little rough, and some edges need a very light sanding.  So, J will be getting to work fixing the outside but I had an idea for the inside.  And it involved sewing.  Cue dramatic music.

See, I never really learned to sew.  I only took it up in my early 20's as a maybe once-a-year project after trying to sew a Ginger Spice UK flag dress for Halloween.  Yea, I did.  And please, try not to laugh....
 
 
A couple months ago I got into a fight with my antique of a sewing machine (antique - not in a good way, more like a curmudgeon) and was lucky to receive a new one for Mother's Day.  I was on the hunt for some projects.  I impulse bought this fabric back around Christmas from Tonic Living, intending to sew some pillow covers but never got around to it, so I decided to repurpose the fabric.  What I came up with was this.....


 
 
 
 
I am sooooo happy with how it turned out!  I spent Sunday sewing this up and was so excited and proud of myself I had to take these pictures right away.  The colour looks a little orange in the photos but is actually a very true red.  I am now making a lining to add to this because you can see a little of the back of the fabric peeking out at the bottom, but I'll consider this a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment